A blog about my recent gallbladder removal, surgery and recovery. The audience of this blog is those who are going through or are about to go through this experience. Please feel free to ask questions and I would be happy to answer whatever I can.

I recommend starting with the first post and working your way forward in time for the complete picture!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 22: What NOT to Eat After Gallbladder Removal


I attended a family party over the weekend and the only real option for food was pizza. The pizza also had something called "hot oil" that came on the side. This is essentially olive oil and vegetable oil cooked in spicy peppers, making it a "hot oil".

The thing to do at this party was to top your slices of pizza with "hot oil" and parmesan cheese. It was delicious. Unfortunately, the combination of this and alcohol didn't sit well in my stomach, and I did not feel to well that night later on.

In fact, I woke up at 3 AM feeling nauseated, probably the first time I actually felt ill from what I had eaten. My guess here is that the spicy pepper infusion, heavy oils and pepperoni pizza combination (3-4 slices worth) was just too much at this stage for my stomach and intestines to handle without some additional bile. For all I know, being 36 I would have felt sick after this meal whether or not I had my gallbladder removed and whether or not it was healthy.

I know I will tread lightly the next time I am around that combination of food. Maybe in time it will resolve on its own and within 3 or 6 more months eating those foods will not phase me. For now, I am moving too fast.

Lastly, I also experienced some acid reflux a few times when eating foods high in fat. Ice cream in particular. I wouldn't make much of a note of this except for the fact that I hadn't felt any acid reflux symptons in about 5 years. So there is something going on where the surgery has caused me to experience reflux again after eating some foods ... it's mild, but noticeable. Hopefully it's temporary and just part of the healing process.

3 comments:

  1. Since your issue with Pizza and the fact that you are a lot further along postop, have you managed to be able to eat pizza? I love pizza and I have been saying since I found a month ago that I was having surgery that as long as I can eatell pizza after removal, I will be satisfied...Thanks! Your blog is very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, no problems eating pizza or ice cream these days. Sometimes I wish there was ;)

    In truth though, if I combine a lot of fatty foods, like ice cream and pizza and alcohol, or fried chicken and a heavy dessert, it will still be slow to digest and sometimes uncomfortable, but I can eat 4 slices of pizza without any issue, or a bowl of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know I'm not the only person looking forward to pizza after my gallbladder removal surgery. :) I really appreciate this blog. Helps answer questions that the doctors don't outright tell you. I just had mine out just under two weeks ago and worried I pulled something when I crouched down to scoop the cat litter - one of my sites feels a little weird on the inside since. But it does seem that the first three weeks are those times. Even when part of me feels back to normal (not as zombie-ish/weak as last week but I can tell the next day if I push my self too much. Doesn't help that my anemia is heightened with my very limited diet. I guess I just need to learn to be patient. Thanks again for the blg.

    ReplyDelete