A blog about my recent gallbladder removal, surgery and recovery. The audience of this blog is those who are going through or are about to go through this experience. Please feel free to ask questions and I would be happy to answer whatever I can.

I recommend starting with the first post and working your way forward in time for the complete picture!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 24: First Run After Gallbladder Removal Surgery


My doctor had given me the go ahead to exercise at the 3 week mark (although I cheated a little and did some elliptical work and free weights and pushups taking it easy a few days before my green light date). Now that I was 3 weeks and a few days in, I decided to give running on the treadmill a shot.

Right away I didn't like the way it felt. My fear coming in was that the impact of running would make things hurt in the gallbladder surgery area, and my fear came true. Within 30 seconds of starting my run at 6 mph I felt a little uncomfortable tug inside with each impact.

It wasn't seriously painful, but my main goal here is health. I'm not a professional athlete with a contract on the line so I can afford to take my time on this. I tried slowing to 5.5 mph to see if that would alleviate the minor discomfort, but alas, no dice.

I went on like this for a few minutes, trying a few things. I literally put my hand in the gallbladder area to add extra support (less bounce) and this helped a little, but it wasn't going to be realistic or wise to run with my right hand holding my abdomen for 30 minutes.

At this point, I decided to stop. It was 5 minutes in and I had reached a quarter mile. That was good enough for me. I switched over to the elliptical for 20 minutes instead.

The pain was ironically reminiscent of a cramp coming on during a normal run. This made me wonder ... I aoften would get a cramp in that same area when running. Maybe it wasn't really a cramp, maybe it was always a problem with my gallbladder that was aggravated when I ran? This might have also explained why several of my gallbladder attacks seemed to happen within 12-24 hours of a hard run. Maybe that is what helped cause the gallbladder inflammation?

14 comments:

  1. It's been 4 weeks since my surgery. At week 3 I also tried to run on the treadmill but felt too much pressure in one spot. Week 4 I tried a slow jog in my neighborhood but had to hold my side while I jogged two laps. I then bought a slimmer waist band just to give me some support but that didn't seem to help either. I just backed out of a 5K this weekend because I definitely don't want to risk hurting myself. It's not worth it. I can lift weights this week and feel good with that. Patiently waiting to run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim, hang in there and good work playing it safe. It's been well over a year now for me and I am running all over the place with no issues. It did take me a little while to get there though. Situps and ab work also hurt a bit due to the small incisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my gb removed in September 2012. I started going to the gym in Jannuary and recently started running on the treadmill to train for a 5k. I get sharp pains in my side that lingers for a day or so. Does your side still hurt when you run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, thanks for checking in. I no longer have pain when I run, but it has been a year and a half since the surgery.

      Looking back at my blog, I did run 3 miles (about 5k) about 4-5 weeks after my surgery. I know it wasn't super comfortable, and for many months I felt strange aches and nags. I also remember doing situps would make my abs sore the next day or two where my incisions were in the ab muscles.

      Part of it depends on what you could do before the surgery. I was able to run 5K before the surgery. Were you?

      Are the sharp pains in your gallbladder area, or more your liver, or somewhere else on the side?

      Delete
  4. Eek! Thanks for the heads up as I am planning on getting back on the road this week (4 weeks post surgery with complications)...think I will walk for another week first...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a comment, but not sure it will be posted so I'm writing again. Sorry if it gets posted twice. I had gallbladder surgery on May 5, 2015 and today I tried to ease back into running. I ran/walked for 45 min. and felt fine. But later this evening when I went to the bathroom to urinate I had a little blood on the toilet paper. I don't have any pain though in my abdomen or where my gallbladder used to be. It's got me a little worried though and maybe it's still too soon to start running again. Has anyone else experienced this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no doctor, but I would say if there is blood in the urine I would go talk to my doctor. It may not be related at all to your running or your surgery, or it might be related. Sorry I missed this post for so long, and I hope now months later everything is fine!

      Delete
    2. I am Day 1 postop & was planning to do the Insane Inflatable 5K on November 14th, already paid for it before I knew I was having surgery. I guess that's out of the question, huh? Your opinions...

      Delete
  6. Hi,I had my gallbladder removed last August 2017, the procedure was cholecystectomy. The doctor told me to rest for at least 6weeks, but the full recovery period is 6months. It's been 3 months since the surgery, and the incision healed fast, no pain and complications at all. My question is can I start doing some mild exercises like,sit ups, zumba,jog in the neighborhood, or can I go to gym? Thank you. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,I had my gallbladder removed last August 2017, the procedure was cholecystectomy. The doctor told me to rest for at least 6weeks, but the full recovery period is 6months. It's been 3 months since the surgery, and the incision healed fast, no pain and complications at all. My question is can I start doing some mild exercises like,sit ups, zumba,jog in the neighborhood, or can I go to gym? Thank you. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there - as always, best person to ask is your doctor. I don't know if you had the laparoscopic (3 small holes), or the full incision. My understanding is that the full incision is a much longer healing process. If you had the laparoscopic like I did, you should be able to exercise for sure by now. I was told 3 weeks, but found it painful and waited a little longer. But if you had the full incision, I have no idea. In either case, check in with your doc!!!

      Delete
  8. Gallbladder removed laparoscopicly in August of 2017. I now get cramps in the area where my gallbladder used to be and slightly below towards my pelvic area every time I run. I did half-ironmans before my surgery and can barely even finish a 5k without having to stop due to the sharp pain. No pain otherwise. Very frustrated and looking for some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my GB lap surgery March 11. I did a easy run/walk 11 days after...not good and have running/hiking off and on since. I find that I have alot of gas/belching causing shortness of breath with some pain next day in liver area down towards pelvic area. I also have some diarrhea. My docotr told me I could run 2 wks after surgery. Now he says take it easy? I'm confused it's been 8 weeks. Will I eaver be able to really run without pain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there - hang in there. It’s still early. The doctors mean that you can run without injuring yourself, but, it doesn’t mean it’s going to feel ok. For me it felt awful. But ... over a few months it got better and eventually I was able to run, play hockey, play soccer. It just takes time.

      Delete