A blog about my recent gallbladder removal, surgery and recovery. The audience of this blog is those who are going through or are about to go through this experience. Please feel free to ask questions and I would be happy to answer whatever I can.

I recommend starting with the first post and working your way forward in time for the complete picture!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day Zero: My Gallbladder Is Gone!

Once my surgery had been completed and I had been rolled out of the hospital in the traditional wheelchair, my recovery had officially begun. I was feeling pretty good considering I was loaded up with anesthesia and I had four small lacerations on my stomach and a small organ removed. It wasn't great, but my imagination had me thinking it would be far worse.

Incisions

In terms of the incisions, here is a picture of someone else who has incisions that looked pretty much the same as mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sudama/60291047/

To be honest, they seemed pretty small. The two lower outside incisions were about a half an inch (tiny) and they were sealed using surgical glue. The incision at the bottom of my naval was also glued, and so was the larger incision just to my right and below my sternum. Glue everywhere, and on the larger incision, two small inch long pieces of tape (also known as "paper stitches"). So everything was glue and stickers, no actual stitches in site. I was told not to shower for 2 days, and after that I should be OK. I was also told to leave the "paper stitches" on until my one week follow-up with my doctor.

The hardest thing to do on day one was to drop into a seat from a standing position, or stand up from a sitting position. This caused me to have to move my abdomen in ways it did not want to move or flex. I had to warn the kids not to hug me or bang into me.

Get Moving

I had heard many people say I should get moving as soon as possible. A nice easy walk would be good, and sitting around too much would be bad. This was no problem for me as I actually felt more comfortable standing (straight) than sitting (bent at the abdomen). In fact, I probably stood more than I sat my first few days.

We picked up my prescription (Vicoden, a pain killer) and headed home. I was told to take 1-2 vicoden every 4-6 hours. I decided to go with a minimalist approach as I don't want any more medicine than I need. Your mileage may vary, but I found one painkiller every 4-6 hours was enough for me, and I was off of the painkillers by the next morning and taking 2 Advil instead.

The good news is that I was not in desperate need for painkillers. The bad news is that they didn't help much with some of the symptoms. I'm sure the helped the pain coming from the lacerations, but the bloating and discomfort I was on my own with. Also, the CO2 gas floating around inside of me causing sharp pains here and there didn't seem to be phased by painkillers. Either way, it was all bearable, but again, make sure that you clear your schedule.

Sleeping

Sleeping was the hardest part. I normally sleep on my side, and that wasn't an option. The first night, I would lie on my back and try to fall asleep that way. Laying flat on one pillow was painful. Using a second pillow and sitting up a little bit was more comfortable, but still hard to sleep. I found that if I tilted my body about 5 degrees to my left (liver-side a bit higher) there was more comfort. I would sleep for 2 hours and then need to get up and move around, have a drink of water, go to the bathroom.

The big pain (literally) when trying to sleep is the CO2 gas that was in my abdomen. When they do a laparoscopic surgery, they will fill you up with carbon dioxide. This will space things out so they can work easily. They get most of it out before they close you up, but some always stays behind in your abdomen, and it shifts around and causes gas pains. They tend to drift upwards towards your shoulders and neck area. I found that if you move around a bit you can adjust them, and bending over (head down) will get them to move back away from your shoulders. This is important to remember because if you don't know about the CO2 pains, you may think you are getting chest pains or pains in your neck/shoulders that mean bad things. It's not really bad things, just air. Your body will absorb it in time (everyone's capacity to absorb CO2 is different. Mine seemed to be gone in a few days).

Oh yeah ... for whatever reason, I was urinating every 2 hours for the first day and night. Maybe it was the IV fluids, maybe it was the water I had been drinking since the painkillers and meds make your thirsty, but I was bathroom bound often. So between the bathroom visits and the discomfort, I would sleep for 2 hours, wake up for a half hour and move around, and then repeat. I slept about 6 hours the first night.

Next Few Days


I'll talk more about my first week after surgery in upcoming posts, and some of the things I experienced in that week. My surgery was on a Friday, and I went back to work on Wednesday morning. It was bearable, but I ended up going home early on Wednesday, and asking to work from home on Friday. If you can, take an entire week off and relax. I couldn't, but wish I could have.

9 comments:

  1. This is such a blessing to read. I wish I had read this before I went in for my surgery but I had mine removed this last Tuesday and I've taken to reading your blow by blow recounting and feel comforted in that I am experiencing a lot of what you did. The CO2 thing was just awful! I'm going to continue reading up now. Hope you had a good week! =)
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having my operation Friday I was so happy to read this and feel less nervous about it now! Some great tips I'll try to remember thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about 14 hours post op. Some advice from my recovery nurse: hug a pillow when the coughing urge comes on the slight pressure will help some but you will still feel it, use heating pad for some relief (and it does seem to help over the incision areas and the shoulder), the shoulder pain is mostly an air pocket so move it around some get the air moving out, walking has helped the pressure in my belly a lot (just be careful when getting up you might be slightly dizzy if your on narcotics for pain). This is not my first surgery but it was my first abdominal one. DO NOT be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help with anything. Rest as much as you can, let others help you so you can, it helps the healing process along. Thank you for this blog, I was a little worried about my appetite not really being back this long after surgery but the air pressing on the stomach makes a lot of since. Hopefully some of the tips given to me by the nurses will be helpful to someone as well in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog my friend, i took a lot of reassurance from this and I am getting my Gallbladder removed now in 10 days.

    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog my friend, i took a lot of reassurance from this and I am getting my Gallbladder removed now in 10 days.

    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blog, it answer many questions but today I woke up with my legs feeling restless,anxious ,any thoughts? I had my gallbladder remove 5 days ago today .
    Heating pad on my back the first day was a life saver! Get one!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that one sounds out of my league to answer. I know there is something called Restless Leg(s) Syndrome, but I would guess that isn't something that is induced by a surgery. I would lean more toward medication. Are you taking opiates/painkillers? This could be a side effect for you. I would recommend checking in with your doctor as well.

      Delete
  7. Day 3 post op. My surgery wasn't planned it was an er visit to the surgery table. It was severely inflamed and had quite a few stones. I was hospitalized prior to surgery so I spent the first 24 hours in the hospital post op. I walk around my house bc I think that's what I'm suppose to do.I live alone and closet family member lives 4 hours away. I have been making it here alone by the grace of God. I too wish I had the hospital type bed. It's a bit difficult to get up and down.But I managed. I had bowel movements day 2 that were regular,nothing scary. Today I'm feeling a little nausea but nothing I want to take anything for. I'm feeling a little discomfort but nothing to compare to what I felt pre surgery..left shoulder blade is achy,thanks bc I thought it was my awkward way of sleeping comfortablely..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear things went down that way. Did you have the traditional large incision? Or the laparoscopic surgery? I am assuming the former based on the ER visit. Hopefully you are feeling a lot better a few weeks later. Best of luck, and sorry you had to go through that!

      Delete